5 Interesting Facts About Bamboo
Here are 5 interesting facts you probably didn't know about bamboo....
1. Bamboo is incredibly strong and very lightweight so it's used for many purposes from scaffolding on skyscrapers to household products such as chairs and cutting boards. Bamboo has amazing strength and durability and it can survive just about anything. Bring more bamboo into your home and you will quickly learn why WE love bamboo so much!
2. Bamboo growing requires no pesticides or fertilizers. The leave that drop to the ground are enough to provide it with the necessary nutrients. So that means that bamboo is 100% organically grown! Incredible!
3. Bamboo not only grows faster than any other plant, but it produces more than 35 percent more oxygen than trees. It has been found that bamboo can absorb up to 12 tons of carbon dioxide per 2.5 acres in a single year. Bring some bamboo plants inside your home to reap the benefits.
4. Bamboo has a higher tensile strength than steel. Which brings us back to #1... Bamboo is a great source for many household products from cutting boards to toothbrushes, paper products, straws and more.
5. Bamboo is edible and by edible, we don’t mean it’s just Panda food. Simply search for Bamboo shoot recipes online and you’ll get a good taste of its various cooking applications. Bamboo shoots are common ingredients in many asian dishes. Bamboo is said to aid digestion, which is why it’s included in many appetizers. And no, we aren't harming pandas by eating their food and using their food to produce products. Bamboo is such a fast growing plant (see #3 above) that there is plenty to go around.
What other fun facts have you heard about bamboo??
Leave a comment: